Sunday, May 8, 2011

Why can’t we have a proper Singles Day?


Although we celebrate Singles Awareness Day & Singles Day on 2 different dates but still it just doesn’t seem to be a proper kind of celebration. I don’t see much enthusiasm in it & most of you must not be aware of it either.

February 15 has been declared Singles Awareness Day! This is the day that all of the single people can proudly stand up and show that it is OKAY to be single! I hardly see anyone on 15 getting excited as people get all excited on the 14th even though we don’t see anything hot & happening. Moreover, Singles Day is also a Chinese pop culture holiday on November 11 for people who are still living the single life.

There are single, smart, happy people. It’s another thing we have too many typical folks who believe in suffocating ideas. It’s high time we need to promote the idea that staying single doesn’t mean you are unhappy. It means you have opportunities. You are not burdened with responsibilities. You don’t know tensions revolving around in-laws & you don’t have to worry about husband who might get interested elsewhere.

You are free & what could be more beautiful than this? If you couldn’t meet anyone compatible & fun in all these years, there might be a reason. I don’t think it should be taken as something negative. We need all kinds of people in this world.

I’m sure many of you won’t agree with me. You don’t have to. This is how I look at it. And there was a time when I believed in both love & marriage but people do change & I have. And I think typical folks have no right to throw mud at those who are not all that typical like them. I also think it’s madness on their part to use phrases as ‘no good option’ for single people. You may think you know what single people are missing but the chances are that you do not know what you are missing. Life is not all that bad. Some people may experience different pattern but it doesn’t mean you’re missing out on life.