Sunday, June 12, 2011

Nothing is what it seems


Thanks to yellow journalism, we get to know half-baked stories & truth as ever is guarded by lies. Everyone who is killed is projected as saint whereas the real events that led to the crime are hidden. No one has the right to kill anyone how people are being killed in Pakistan. There is no justification for murder & other heinous crimes. At the same time, no one has the right to take the law in his hand & punish those who are guilty. But we are an illiterate nation & not just that, compassion is totally missing.

Now quite frankly, one doesn’t know the real story. However, we have been passionately supporting Muneeb, Mugheez & Sarfaraz Shah. The manner in which they have been killed is absolutely unacceptable but the circumstances that led to the actual crime had never been properly highlighted. Everyone turns out to be a dacoit. It’s hard to believe the zillion stories that circulate.

I once wrote on this rape case in which a woman was raped twice in the same week by different men. Naturally I was quite pissed off & the story was disturbing. But after 3 weeks or so, I discovered through a reliable source that she was never raped. Along with her husband, she plotted against these men.

It’s very difficult to tell who is innocent & who has been wronged. And the kind of media we have, everything turns into something else. Instead of reporting, they prefer giving opinions & distorting the real story.

Almost 8 years ago, I gave up my research on JJSO, cause again through some source, I got info that made me question as to why I had been supporting certain juvenile offenders. I even gave up writing letters in the newspaper, cause I didn’t know if I had been supporting right kind of people. It really pricks your conscience when you support those who are guilty.

We may never come to know the real story, thanks to our media. And my sister very rightly said that we should stay away from these Pakistani stories.