Saturday, June 4, 2011

Review: Dum Maaro Dum




Sometime ago I read a review on Dum Maaro Dum on somebody's blog. Based on it, I thought the movie must be completely a piece of shit. The guy mentioned that the movie was a mixture of too many old flicks, that people didn't act, Abhishek was crap, Bipasha looked like a useless sex bomb etc

Till then, I only had a vivid experience of watching the new Dum Maaro Dum song of the movie in which Deepika Padukone was the sexy item girl. It was a complete disappointment when I heard...unchay se uncha banda, potty pe bethay nanga. I agree, everybody shits like that but sorry I give no marks for such pathetic creativity even if Deepika is dancing her ass off in such a song. She looked hot but I could not give any points to the bad lyrics.

However, when I saw Dum Maaro Dum, I felt the review I read was more than biased. In my opinion, it was a fairly decent movie for one time viewing. We can't expect every movie to be a super duper hit. I was more than happy to see Abhishek act nicely in this one. I hated him in Game in which he was being way too over smart. Abhishek has put on a lot of weight. In fact, as I recall, there was a very short time span when Abhishek looked really handsome. For quite sometime, I can only recall his round face. Nevertheless, I found his role and acting incredible. It is painful to see good actors not act nicely when they actually can.

The best part of the movie was Rana Daggubati. I never knew him till I followed updates of this movie. Anyway, he is a genuinely good actor. And I found him fairly decent looking as well.

However, Bipasha Basu offered nothing new. She should pack up I believe. She can not act and she has exposed enough earlier. I like actresses who can act at least. I remember, all the while during the promotions of the movie she was more worried about the fact that Deepika was offered the item song and not her. She needs to get a life. Deepika is the new face in the industry after all. Other than that, she was also facing rumors of link ups with Rana Daggubati. It aint surprising, Bipasha does fall for men shortly time and again.

The worst and most unimpressive was Prateik Babbar. I felt, all this while we have all been fooled. We all thought he is such an amazing actor. Well, he would have the sparks inherited through his incredible acting genes but in this movie, he looked and acted pathetically. They could have easily done without him in this movie. Any unknown actor could have carried that role better than him. His accent and curls were irritable.

Aditya Pancholi has never done anything worthwhile in his career and similar was this movie. He is one person I don't consider an actor.

Most of the movie was great except the scene when Aditya Pancholi lost his sanity completely after loosing his stored drugs, they showed a blurry kissing scene, a provocative love making scene and then he was suddenly killed. The very last part of the movie was not that greatly done.

Like I said, the movie was ok but Abhishek and Rana were good. The story was not as bad or confused as I read in the review. It was fairly focused on the drug mafia of Goa. It was quite sad to see a few good characters die in their battle against the drug mafia. Rest up, it was not that bad to watch at least once.