Tuesday, May 3, 2011

National Teacher Appreciation Day - May 3rd



This is basically a celebration that is carried out by many countries but it is quite aspirational and thought provoking so there is no harm in following the footsteps. Most countries have different days to celebrate this day. The first week of May is considered to be Teacher Appreciation Week in USA, while the 3rd of May is 'Teacher Appreciation Day' there.

World Teacher Day is celebrated on October 5th though and is a much bigger event.

I have not had too many unforgettable and wonderful teachers but yes some of them were indeed nice amongst the lot. I particularly cherish and remember my 5th grade teacher with fond memories. She was an angel. I feel she was living a tough life but she was an angel indeed in every way. I adore and love her till this day.

In my A-level days, I had the most amount of fun. I practically didn't study in the two years of my life. This was the best time for me and surprisingly I did get much better grades at the end of two years. The teachers were fun, smart, easy going...at least the ones I studied with were all great. I have respect for them.

And in my university days, I don't think I cherished anyone. They were all okay. Only one of my professors was outstanding. I mentioned him before also. He was so much fun to talk to and a treat to watch with his reactions and response. The man was a bachelor who had no intentions of marrying, took great care of his parents, had a great career, was an intellectual in the true sense and above all he really followed an international style of teaching. He reached out to his students and communicated one on one. That is how I feel teachers should be really. Too bad that he died a few years ago.

Anyway, if you recall your teachers and adore them completely...do let them know through a card, flower, letter, facebook message or phone call. Appreciate them if they ever left a positive mark on your personality.