Thursday, March 29, 2012

Appalling statistics



 
I just read this on Daily Mail & this is horrifying:

“More than 8,500 acid attacks, forced marriages and other forms of violence against women were reported in Pakistan in 2011, according to The Aurat Foundation, a women's rights organization. The Pakistani government introduced new laws last year criminalizing acid attacks and stating that convicted attacks would serve at least 14 years in jail.”

I’m sure the number is even higher than this. And we must bear in mind that it’s not number, it’s real life that has been destroyed.

As I have said a zillion times on our blog that law is one thing & justice quite another. The situation in my country is such that I can’t even say introducing new & better laws is a good thing, cause there is no such thing as implementation. A better law is useless which is never implemented. Culprits get away every time. This has been our history. 

Mostly husbands are the ones who throw acid on their wives. I think it’s the most intimate relationship & it saddening that one partner abuses it to this extent. I think ‘saddening’ is not even the right word. It’s much beyond that. You’re supposed to look up to your husband as he’s the one who going to protect you. But sadly it’s not so in innumerable cases. Every time I think about Adam & Eve & it seems to me as if the very concept & meaning of companionship & love have been erased from this planet. Marriage is such a sacred relationship & it’s abused every day. I don’t understand why do people get married when they don’t know how to respect their spouse, to begin with.