Saturday, March 17, 2012

Happiness & unhappiness in a balance


Last night while I was reading, I came across these lines & I just couldn’t agree with Paulo Coelho on it:

“It’s enough that I keep trying. Even those who didn’t do all they could have done already have been forgiven: they had their punishment while they were alive by being unhappy when they could have been living in peace & harmony.”

I just couldn’t help thinking about people who have been wronged by others & I don’t blame them for being unhappy. Some people have been sick & they can’t be happy. Some have been molested in childhood. Some have been sexually assaulted & raped. Some have lost everything. Some have lost trust, cause they have been stabbed in the back by their own loved ones & friends. People suffer in different ways all over the world. They may have lost peace of mind & everything. I just can’t believe all of them have been punished for not taking decision at the right time. Where was the option of taking a step when you are being wronged by some monster?

I know lots of mean & selfish folks who are leading very happy lives or so it seems but they surely don’t give two fucks while hurting anyone. They are quite happy as they are surrounded by trashy, shitty, clueless, low-life fuckers known as sycophants in simple terms. And that makes for one happy childhood tale that no one ever bothered to read it out to us. Maybe nothing is what it seems, but this is what I have observed. I could be wrong but I don’t give a damn to it anymore. There are also certain characters whose main aim in life is to create hurdles for other beings & they have been victorious all along. Misfortune of others seem to make them happy.

Moreover I also happen to know some very good humans who have seen a lot of shit in life & if they don’t have peace & harmony, I don’t think it’s any sort of punishment. Maybe they are tested by God. How could any human pass judgement on people who are not that happy? Maybe they’ve had traumatic experiences that you can’t even comprehend. Since it’s kind of impossible to taste every calamity in life, how can anyone dare to judge?

Any illness can make a person unhappy. I’ve got chronic depression & when my illness is being triggered, I only see gloom & doom. Even though I usually enjoy life but things alter when I’m ill. Is my illness some sort of punishment, cause I don’t have peace & harmony while it lasts? Yesterday I mentioned that I’ve seen the marriages of my 4 lousy crushes. Was it a punishment? My last crush gives me stupid hints whenever he can even though it means nothing to him. Is this some sort of punishment that he hurts me more than the 4 losers who didn’t give me any importance whatsoever? I have friends who have been sexually abused in childhood & some have been sexually harassed & sexually abused later on, they are still unhappy. Is that a punishment too? These are known as bad experiences. In other words, we may refer to them as horrifying happenings that have altered lives forever & that has robbed them of peace of mind & harmony.

Men in my country throw acid on women whenever they have some issue. These women suffer for a lifetime. I’m sure they cannot think of peace & harmony. Can you call this punishment? There are people who don’t have clothes to wear. There are people who have got nothing to eat. There are infants who are thrown in garbage sites as no one wants to shoulder the responsibility of owning them. There are people who’ve got problems owing to the people surrounding them. There are people who have been stabbed in the back by their spouses, boyfriends/girlfriends, friends, family & to this day, they can’t trust again. They don’t even take another chance even if they happen to meet the right kind of people, cause they are badly hurt. And what is the fault of the person who just meets them when they have lost trust & aren’t willing to give life a second chance. Can you even say that people deserve what they get in this world? And these are just few examples.

And lastly I would like to thank Siddhārtha Gautama Buddha for teaching us:

“Believe nothing because a wise person said it. Believe nothing because it is generally held. Believe nothing because it is written. Believe nothing because it is said to be Divine. Believe nothing because someone else believes it. But believe only what you yourself judge to be true.”

I know I could be wrong about a number of things. And I certainly do not mean to offend anyone. But this is how I see things right now.