Monday, March 26, 2012

Fakhra Younus – just another number


I tend to stay away from Pakistani dailies & so I missed the news of Fakhra Younus. I still remember when I read about her case in 2000. I had no clue that after 12 years, my sister will tell me about her suicide.

Over here, men throw acid on women & they get away with it. Even though Fakhra’s case was quite publicized but she didn’t get justice either. I don’t have words to express the agony of an acid victim. I also don’t think words could do justice.These women are scarred for life.

After 12 years, this woman committed suicide. She was wronged & she didn’t get justice, because there was no hope of it. She jumped from a building in Italy on March 17th. People commit suicide when they are totally shattered & there is no hope left.

She underwent 39 surgeries & still her face was scarred & distorted. No one deserves to go through hell. No one deserves so much pain.

We have definitely failed as a society. We have failed as people. We let people commit suicide. If big names are involved, there is certainly no justice in this part of the world.