Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Each man lived his own life


“Each man lived his own life, & paid his own price of living it. The only pity was one had to pay so often for a single fault. One had to pay over & over again, indeed. In her dealings with man Destiny never closed her accounts.

There are moments, psychologists tell us, when the passion for sin, or for what the world calls sin, so dominates a nature, that every fibre of the body, as every cell of the brain, seems to be instinct with fearful impulses. Men & women at such moments lose the freedom of their will. They move to their terrible end as automatons move. Choice is taken from them, & conscience is either killed, or, if it lives at all, lives but to give rebellion its fascination, & disobedience its charm. For all sins, as theologians weary not of reminding us, are sins of disobedience. When that high spirit, that morning-star of evil, fell from heaven, it was a rebel that he fell.”

Oscar Wilde

The Picture of Dorian Gray

I do not completely agree with this passage. But I really like this particular line: “When that high spirit, that morning-star of evil, fell from heaven, it was a rebel that he fell.” I don’t think being a rebel is all that bad as closed minds paint it to be. Rebels are of different kinds; they fight for different causes. Sometimes you don’t have a choice. You are born to be a rebel & that can be real fun.

However, it’s true sometimes you have to pay again & again for the one single fault. Every time you are reminded that at one point in life you made a terrible mistake & there is nothing you can do about it.

I think when you commit a sin, you don’t think that much. You just do that. There is no point to give justification for it. I believe the writer is referring to pleasure when he uses the word sin. Moreover, I don’t think choice is actually taken from you. Maybe your conscience is already dead. Choice is taken away in very frightful circumstances. When you’re being wronged in a variety of ways & I’m sure you guys know what I mean. I think when you’re about to indulge in some illegal activity that people refer as sin, which seems more of fun to you, you can’t say that choice has been snatched away from me & my conscience doesn't prick me at that very moment. Some people have control over themselves & some people don’t. It’s all in your nature & you can’t blame yourself for having certain kind of genes.

There is a world of difference between pleasure & happiness. I don’t know why people invariably regard pleasure as sin. But at the same time, we have people who confuse pleasure with happiness. I do think they are lucky folks. They don’t know the difference & they are better off than us. Ever since I’ve been blogging I’ve mentioned a couple of times that momentary pleasure doesn’t mean much to us thinking people. Even though it’s fun, but it just doesn’t mean anything. One moment of genuine happiness is all a human being wants or craves in this lifetime. And I don’t know what is so difficult to understand about it.

Anyhow, The Picture of Dorian Gray is a must read & those who do not read you must watch Dorian Gray. The movie is equally good. Ben Barnes is the perfect face for Dorian Gray.