Monday, January 23, 2012

Facebook friends can’t be relied on in a crisis


A survey suggests that although people are flooded with FB friends but in reality, they know very few people in the circle they could turn to in a crisis.

The poll by Macmillan Cancer Support found that the average young adult has 237 Facebook friends, but only two they could turn to for real support.

The survey, of 1,000 people aged 18 to 35, found two-thirds of respondents said they had two or fewer really close friends.

It also found that one in eight (13 per cent) admitted they did not have even a single person they considered to be a good enough friend to rely on, if life got very hard.

Men (16 per cent) were more likely than women (12 per cent) to have no one to turn to.

I don’t find the survey all that surprising. All those old acquaintances who would never talk to you or even like one of the things you post are there in circles. It’s not FB’s fault that you can’t find a single friend to bank on in crisis. Even in real life, it’s rare to come across a loyal friend. A friend you could trust, look up to in crisis & never let you down is a gift of God. But the survey is 100 % accurate. I don’t think I know one person in my circle with whom I would like to share my headaches :P but I could have fruitful discussions with my FB friends any time. Yes I’m sure it must be a shocking revelation to a teenager but most of us who have tasted life know that we hardly come across sincere, loyal people anywhere. And it’s equally amusing when you throw sincere people & prefer to hang out with trash. Someday you would know the difference.

Source:

Facebook friends can’t be relied on in a crisis