Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Menna Pritchard defends rock climbing with toddler strapped to her back



Menna Pritchard, 26, is a single mother who believes that ‘Life is all about risks, whether that’s something as simple as getting in your car every day or climbing up a rock face’ & has defended her decision to go rock climbing - with her two-year-old daughter Ffion strapped to her back without a helmet.

Menna is studying for a degree in outdoor education at Trinity St David in Carmarthen & she also works part time as an outdoor instructor. She said: ‘Some people would say I’m taking more risks than are necessary, but I am very conscious of safety and I would never do anything with Ffion that I thought would put her in danger.’

Moreover, she hopes her experiences will inspire her daughter. As usual people are finding faults with how she’s endangering the life of her daughter. Whether one is wearing a helmet not, accident can happen anytime & helmet cannot protect you. I’m not defending her. I think once you have a child, you’ve got to be more responsible, but she’s a single mother & maybe that’s the reason why she takes her daughter on every dangerous expedition.

I don’t know her history & I don’t like to judge people. It’s easier for people to pass statements about someone else’s life & they know exactly how that individual must act. When I think just about the child, yeah I find all of this quite stupid. It’s the mother who has taken the decision; it’s not the child. God forbid if anything happens, the child will have to pay the price & that is not right.

But today I also read another story in which a 26 year old selfish mother dumped her two daughters aged five & three in Brooklyn with only spare diapers & after few hours posted a naked picture of man holding champagne on her FB. Anyway, Dalisha Adams has been arrested & charged with two counts of endangering the welfare of a minor. One of the neighbors said that Dalisha was all the time shouting at her daughters things like ‘I’ll punch you in the f***ing face' No one should have a mother like Dalisha for sure but I don’t think Menna falls under that category.

I was a very adventurous & reckless person in my early 20s but at that time I knew I was not the right person to have kids & that I wasn’t marriage material. I don’t think everyone knows it & whenever I used to speak my mind, my friends used to think bad of me as if I had uttered some sort of blasphemy! The point is…whatever you do (& that includes even expressing your views), people will have issues no matter what. Anyone who takes a little different route is targeted.

Coming back to the main story, it would be better if Menna Pritchard thinks about the safety of her child cause, rock climbing, kayaking, canoeing & other such outdoor activities are dangerous. Accidents can happen & there’s nothing you can do. It’s better to take precautions than to regret later on.

Anyhow, lots of bad things happen to children when parents leave them with relatives, friends, servants or at care centres…at least this woman remains with her child all the time.

Source:

The height of stupidity?