Friday, December 16, 2011

An outright insult of humanity




Every day we read horrifying stories. What makes it equally abhorrent is the fact that everything is done deliberately. People weigh & harm other humans & animals. I have read a couple of studies that confirm the sorry fact about psychopaths not feeling anything while inflicting pain on others. It’s a normal thing for them, but it’s not a normal thing for us…even if we read it almost every day. I know writing about it on the blog would not change things. People will stay evil & bad things will happen to good people.

I don’t have words to express my disgust. Last night I read about this 21 year old woman Hawa Akhter Jui whose fingers had been cut off by none other than her own husband. She wanted to pursue higher studies but her husband Rafiqul Islam didn’t approve of it. The reason seems quite simple - he has a complex as he himself is not well educated. There might have been some other reason as well but whatever it is, nothing justified Mr. Rafiqul Islam to carry out this vile act.

Anyway, Hawa has to live with permanent disfigurement. The doctors could have attached the fingers within six hours but by the time, they got back the fingers, it was already late.

Hawa Akhter has now started writing from her left hand & she wants her husband to be punished.

The other day, I read about Russell Banks who was a model & how he suffered horrific burns to his face while he was enjoying a drink with his friend when an unknown guy set him on fire. It was not an accident. He deliberately sprayed him with lighter fluid & threw a match at him. The attacker also set fire to himself. Russell suffered third-degree burns to 20 per cent of his body including his hands, arm, chest, neck and face after the attack in October but he pities the man who did this to him.

'I feel anger and pity towards my attacker - but mainly pity for the man who did this to me. He’s totally changed my life but I can’t go on feeling anger towards him.'

We cannot even imagine the torment Russell, Hawa & such victims have to endure. It only takes a minute & your entire life has turned upside down. I don’t think there is ever any justification behind such vile crimes. It’s an outright insult of humanity.

Here I would even like to mention the story of Vucko - the German shepherd dog who was euthanized as that was the only option left. I have seen really graphic pics of animals but when I saw Vucko’s pictures, I was in a state of shock. His snout & a part of his face had been blown off by two Bosnian psychopaths. He was a beautiful German shepherd & I’m sure he wasn’t harmful in any way. Which is why it was easy for these 2 intoxicated bastards to duct-taped firecracker inside his mouth & lit it. However, Vucko didn’t die immediately, cause dogs usually don’t die immediately; they suffer for a long time. He roamed around in the streets of Sarajevo for five days before health workers picked me up. Maggots had infested his wounds & there was no way the doctors could have fixed his mouth, so they decided to euthanize him.

These are just three stories of innocent beings who were wronged & there are many more who are being targeted even while I’m writing this down. I don’t know if things would ever change. I have literally lost my faith in humans. They say black mamba is the deadliest snake as its poison can kill a human within minutes but I say the most deadliest thing on this very planet is human being himself, cause when he turns into a monster, no one can beat him.