Thursday, December 29, 2011

Pet cats double the risks of developing allergies


I read about this study last night but I couldn’t scribble anything on it as I was too sleepy. Anyhow, this particular study suggests that adults who get a cat are almost twice as likely to become allergic to it even if they've never had allergies before.

The study was conducted at the University Hospital of Verona & it has been published in the December 12 issue of The Journal of Allergy and Clinical Immunology. Italian researchers gave allergy tests to nearly 6,300 Europeans aged 20 to 44 who weren't allergic to cats. And that’s fairly a high number; there can’t be any doubt about the credibility of this study as allergies are not different in different parts of the world. Anyway, they found that acquiring a feline in adulthood nearly doubles the risk of developing allergies. While having a feline as a child may protect against future ailments, but getting one in adulthood is surely the first step towards wheezing, sneezing and itchy eyes.

Dr. Mario Olivieri wrote: "Our data support that acquiring a cat in adulthood nearly doubles the risk of developing cat sensitisation. Hence, cat avoidance should be considered in adults, especially in those sensitised to other allergens and reporting a history of allergic diseases."

It also turned out that only people who let their pet into the bedroom became sensitised. However, those who had a cat in childhood had a much smaller risk against becoming sensitised to it than those who were new cat owners.

The question arises: Is there a way cat lovers can protect themselves from this effect? Not unless they start early. The study has confirmed people who owned cats during childhood were more protected from becoming sensitized to cats.

"If you are an adult with asthma and/or allergies, you should think twice about getting a cat and particularly, if you do so, letting it into your bedroom," Dr. Andy Nish of the Allergy and Asthma Care Center in Gainesville, Georgia, who wasn't involved in the study, told Reuters. "If the cat needs to be indoors... consider a HEPA filter for your bedroom and consider washing the cat at least once a week."

They have asked a very good question: Would you get a cat even if it meant risking an allergy?

So far as this study is concerned, it’s not at all bogus. Only an idiot can doubt its credibility. I’m also an animal lover but somehow I got my 1st cat when I was 22. Since I allow my cats & dog to stay with me in the room, my skin problem has aggravated. I’m suffering from atopic dermatitis & my doctor has warned me not to even pet cats & dogs anymore. I’m just supposed to look at them from a distance & I should throw them out of the room. In fact I’m not even allowed to pet stray cats & dogs but I pet them no matter what & there’s no way I’m throwing away my pets. Naturally my answer to the question is of course yes. I do have an allergy & I don’t care how bad it gets. I had all sorts of animals in my childhood but fortunately or unfortunately I didn’t have a cat. Even though my mom used to give food to stray cats but we never adopted one. My elder brothers had a cat before I was born. I think it’s a profound tragedy that I met one when I was in my early 20s.

Just for those who don’t know - Atopic dermatitis is a very common, often chronic (long-lasting) skin disease that affects a large percentage of the world's population. It is also called eczema, dermatitis, or atopy. Most commonly, it may be thought of as a type of skin allergy or sensitivity. It’s painful but not that scary as it may be painted in this study. Itching, sneezing & rashes are irritating but believe me it’s not a curse & you can never totally get rid of any allergy whatsoever. The meds only make sure that it gets better. Allergies of any kind never leave you. It comes back again & again. Moreover, it’s hereditary in many cases. I got it from my father. Since you can’t ever get rid of it, it’s better to know cats in this lifetime, cause they are worth all the trouble.

However, if you’re health conscious, shit scared of allergies & all that, it’s better that you stay away from cats in your adulthood. It’s a wonderful animal but you’ve got to pay the price. I didn’t know it when I adopted my 1st cat but I guess I would do the same thing again. I suppose when you care about someone, you don’t think about your allergies & problems. I have sinus besides having severe skin problem, but it has never been an issue with me. And these pets & strays are so god damn loyal that you can never change your opinion about them.


The bottom line is… if you’re too old, finicky & fussy about developing allergies, please don’t try to adopt a cat. They deserve better people.


Source:

http://lifestyle.aol.co.uk/2011/12/28/pet-cats-double-allergy-risk-in-adults/

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-504763_162-57349270-10391704/pet-cats-double-adults-risk-for-allergies-study-says/