Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Amazing story of Astro & Nicole





This is an amazing story of a courageous woman who didn’t leave her horse’s side for three hours after he was being trapped in mud which was like quicksand.

Astro is an 18 year old horse who had sunk into quagmire like mud & he could have drowned as the water was rising around him but luckily he was freed just minutes before the tide closed in. He was stuck in mud for three hours but Nicole Graham didn’t leave him for a minute. Actually they went for an afternoon ride & that turned out to be a nightmare. Even her daughter Paris & the horse she was riding were partially swallowed up by the mud but Nicole dragged them out. However, Astro was sinking deeper & deeper into the quagmire.

After three 'terrifying' hours, rescuers managed to pull Astro and Nicole from the mud. She said: “It was terrifying. It was also heartbreaking to see my horse exhausted and struggling. We went straight down and under. There was mud everywhere and every time I moved it sucked me back down. It wouldn’t let us go. I’ve been riding here for 20 years and never had a drama. I’ve never seen any signs and didn’t realize it was so boggy. When I saw the dust from the rescue trucks I was so relieved. I was starting to get overwhelmed.”

Astro was sedated before he was pulled out. It had been the combined effort of the team. It was a race against tide & thank God Astro is alive.

Those who have pets know it’s nothing short of a nightmare when something of the sort happens to your pet. Accidents happen but when your pet is in grave danger, your world is shattered. I guess one would do anything to save the beloved animal. Many people call this madness that owners take drastic measures without even thinking. There’s no time to think & I don’t know why people even wonder as to why owners do such things for pets. You see one cannot afford to be practical when your animal is fighting with life & death.