Saturday, February 18, 2012

Britain’s first male mother


We live in an age where just about anything is possible & I think that’s pretty cool.

This particular man wants to remain anonymous because his history as a woman is not known to many of his pals. He’s Britain’s first male mother & he wants to live his life as a normal father. His daughter is now 11 months old & she’s his own biological daughter conceived by his own eggs. He himself is 27 year old.

He was in a gay relationship with a man but now they are not together & he alone is raising the kid. In fact, he had been living as a man for five years. He had legally changed his name and gender before he thought about getting pregnant with his partner.

This is the fourth case of its nature in the world. Thomas Beatie became famous in 2008 when he gave birth to a baby girl & then to a boy the following year. He was an American. It’s possible for those transgender men who were born women & still have functioning ovaries & uterus to become pregnant while living as a man. He was able to give birth last year as his womb was not removed during the sex change surgery.

The Mail on Sunday interviewed him.

He said: "It's not something I want to become famous for. I don't want everyone to know that I'm transgender."

Asked if he would speak about his experiences, he said: "I would certainly want to help people in an anonymous capacity but I wouldn't want to become famous for that, I wouldn't want to be known like Thomas Beatie. And I have to think of my daughter and I don't think it would be good for her."

This man also runs his blog & he has shared his experience.

Writing in a forum for transsexual parents, linked to the blog, he explains that his parents took the news of his pregnancy 'well'. He said: My mum's already told me that I'd be a good mummy and I said no, I'll be a good daddy.’

But he faced considerable opposition too within his family from an aunt.

In a post dated July 20, 2010, he writes: 'I've never heard anyone inject so much misery and disappointment into the word Hello…She wanted to know if I was going to stop being silly and become a woman again, she wanted to know if I was going to get rid of the silly new name I'd adopted. She wondered how on earth I'd cope when I was going against society in this manner, men don't have babies!...I think it's a combination of her WASP upbringing coupled with her conservatism and her Christianity that's making her reject the whole notion. You know what I really wanted to say to her but decided against it ... I really, really wanted to say, "If you think that men don't give birth then answer me this, where did Eve come from?"'

His daughter was born on March 15, 2011 & according to one of his posts, she’s ‘a little angel.’

But I also read that it has not been clear whether his partner is the one supplied the sperm or if it was someone else as he visited gay bars frequently before the birth of his child. So how the baby has been conceived is a bit of a mystery. His online account has now been de-activated.

Anyhow, this is some crucial info. Sex changes on the NHS became a right in July 1999 after the Appeal Court recognized that those who believed they were born into the wrong body had a legitimate illness. It was opposed by critics who said they had a psychological condition.

In 1999, the year sex changes became free, 49 people had the operation on the NHS in England. In 2009 that had increased to 137, according to The NHS Information Centre.

Source:

Britain's first 'male mother': I want to live as a normal father


Britain's first male mum speaks: My mother told me I'd be a good mummy. I said, 'No, I'll be a good daddy'