Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Northern lights and volcanoes in Iceland




These rare shots have been taken by British photographer, James Appleton. He has spent the past seven years capturing the volatile and stunning landscapes of Iceland, and when he heard the Fimmvvrpuhals volcano was erupting, he immediately knew he had to see it.


He says: "I became aware of the Fimmvörðuháls volcano through a friend of mine who is an Icelandic vulcanologist. I knew immediately I had to try and get out to see it. On the plane flying over to Iceland I had in my mind's eye the perfect image I wanted to see, which was exactly this combination of an erupting volcano and the Aurora Borealis. I never dared to hope it might actually happen, but seeing it for real put all the hairs on the back of my neck up. When I saw the photographs come through the camera I was jumping around with excitement."


He added: ‘Iceland is fantastic as producing moments such as these.’


These are indeed very beautiful images. There are a couple of more stunning shots. Please check out the main links.


Source:


Northern lights and volcanoes in Iceland captured by British photographer



Earth, solar wind and fire: Northern lights and molten lava come together in landscape that could be out of this world