Thursday, May 24, 2012

Shafilea Ahmed's murder



I have been reading about this case for quite some time. This is not the 1st time we have heard that parents have killed their own child. 

Shafilea Ahmed was killed by her own parents in 2003. After five months, her body was found dumped beside a river in Cumbria. Everyone knew she was missing. At one point, she even swallowed bleach. 

Now the reason they murdered their 17 year old is based on so-called honor & shit. The thing is these people go abroad but they want their kids to follow culture, traditions & strange concepts of shame & honor in England & America. Any kid who has been raised in that kind of atmosphere will like to wear the same clothes as other kids are wearing. This Westernized lifestyle is just too much for the parents. Shafilea too wanted to wear T-shirts & jeans, & just like girls of her age, she wanted to have boyfriends. 

Farzana Ahmed and Iftikhar Ahmed murdered their daughter in front of their other four children. However, they both deny it. 



Alesha Ahmed who was 15 had that time has broken her silence as she herself felt haunted by what she saw seven years ago. Actually she blurted out the truth to detectives in 2010 as she was caught for planning a robbery along with a gang. 

She told the jury at Chester Crown Court: "I think I had just had enough. My state of mind was not very good at the time. I was living between two cultures and trying to please everyone. It was not me anymore and I was doing things which were out of character - like turning to drink at university. I was not being myself anymore and I just let it out. What happened to my sister had haunted me for a long time.” 

She went on: “It was when I went to university that I saw how wrong our family life was. When you get used to something, it becomes normal. When it’s your own parents you don’t see things like that because you still love them. At university I think I felt like my sister. I wanted to fit in with everyone else but I was being forced to live in a different way and that is what made me crack. There is constant pressure to fit in with the rest of people but you just can't." 


We have read such stories a number of times in which daughters are being forced to marry someone or they are being killed in the name of so-called honor. What I fail to understand is that why such families even bother to move abroad when they have such closed minds? How can you possibly expect a child to adjust in that kind of atmosphere? 

Unfortunately, this is not the 1st case & won’t be the last. Everything happens everywhere. Parents must be living on another planet if they think we have virgins over here. And you can count those on your finger tips who don’t indulge in such activities for whatever reason. One doesn’t have to be from a conservative family to be like this. It’s a choice that very few people make & you can’t expect every Muslim to make that choice & have control over his/her desires. No matter how pious you are, it’s not possible to produce kids having so much control over themselves. Upbringing is not the main reason, it’s more or less the nature of the person. I think having desires is something very natural. It’s more like having food for most men & women. I also don’t think parents are all that naïve but yeah they forget what they did in their youth. 

When you move your ass to another country, it’s better to leave your culture here. Or stay in some village. And even if you want to stick to your culture & tradition, you can’t thrust it on your children who are raised in foreign land. 

Anyhow, it’s no use writing on such things. People would never change. I totally agree with SRK who once said that there is no one as open minded as an educated Muslim. No one ever talks about such Muslims though. Even the West doesn’t talk about them for obvious reason, cause they happen to have the kind of minds that even they can’t handle. 

Every time I read such crazy stories in which parents kill their own children or lock them up in rooms, I feel that I'm being very lucky to have such cool parents, but unfortunately one of my parents is dead. And yeah I often wonder why does a good parent have to die & such wicked parents live to torment their own kids. I also wonder how do kids talk to such parents...I find all that very suffocating, cause I say whatever I want to say to my mom without even thinking. Anyway, this world has all sorts of people & some parents think children owe everything to them. They don't even have the right to breathe. 

Source: