Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Tom Cruise promoting Rock of Ages


Couple of days ago, I did share the cover of W magazine & without any reasonable doubt, I know it has been one of the most scariest covers I’ve seen. And today I got hold of more pics & they are equally fun. However, one doesn’t get scared. 

Tom Cruise has worked really hard for this role. I don’t know if I’m gonna watch this movie or not. I’m not waiting for it as such. Anyhow, Rock of Ages will be released in cinemas in the US and UK on June 15. 



I really loved Tom Cruise in Valkyrie & Samurai. In fact these are my favourite movies of Tom Cruise. I also liked Interview with the vampire but I think Brad Pitt was far better than him. It’s more easier to relate a vampire who has a beautiful soul rather than the character of Lestat. In fact I just saw it recently on TV. Although no one mentions Christian Slater anymore but I think he has the sexiest voice I’ve ever heard. It’s literally a treat to see him talk. And the character of Louis is the best thing about the movie. 



Anyway Tom Cruise is playing an 80s performer in the movie adaptation of the classic musical, which also stars Russell Brand and Catherine Zeta-Jones. For this role, he has actually learned to sing & that is commendable. I have no clue how he might sound but singing is a tough job. Having a good voice is just not enough. 

Adam Shankman is the director. And just in case you are wondering as to why Tom Cruise is doing musical, here’s the answer: 

“Kate [Holmes, Cruise’s wife] loves musicals. She sings and dances, and we kind of went through the history of musicals together. And Suri loved Hairspray. With kids, you watch everything over and over; I watched Hairspray 15 times with Suri. I thought Adam Shankman did a great job directing the movie, so I arranged to meet him and said, “Where’s our musical?” He came back and said, “Rock of Ages.” We went and saw it in L.A., and for me…I didn’t know how to play the character like that. I had to find my own Stacee Jaxx."



There are sexy scenes in this movie: At one point he’s climbing a stripper pole; in another scene, he’s grinding up against a ¬Rolling Stone reporter, played by Malin Akerman. 

“I knew we had to push the sexuality because of the nature of the character and the songs. He’s singing, “I Want to Know What Love Is.” Adam has a sweetness with this stuff, so you can push things pretty hard. With Malin, I thought of Susan Sarandon in The Rocky Horror Picture Show—incredibly sexy and very sweet.” 

I think the interview is okay but kind of boring. 

“When you read a lot of rock biographies, you find that when these musicians are doing their work and it’s going well, that’s when they’re really alive. It’s all the other stuff—the noise and complications—that gets them into devilish behavior. Stacee is kind of floating until he comes onstage. That’s where he’s at home. Everything else is kind of a mess.” 



This part is very strange that all these musicians feel alive only when they are working. I don’t get it as to why there is this gap. You ought to feel content & alive even when you’re not working or producing great work. After all, one cannot be a success for the rest of his life. You can’t always produce stuff that could click. Anyhow, this is the headache of musicians. 

Now coming to the director & what he has to say about the performance of Tom Cruise: 

“Now he's like a seven, but he started off at a one. He had never sung in his life. He was like, "I need to know that I can do this before I sign on." So I went to his house to hear him sing and even though he was completely green as a singer, his vocal cords were amazing. He had this voice that blew me away. It was the most powerful voice I had ever heard. So loud. He could do anything and go as high as we wanted. It was like a kid discovering he had a new toy. I left there super-pumped knowing that not only could we make him pass as a singer in the movie, but we would blow people away with what he could do.” 

Moreover he added: 

“He works harder than anybody I've ever met in my life. By the end of this movie, the guy was just phenomenal. I remember telling him, 'You're a singer!'”