Saturday, April 28, 2012

Is this really a disturbing phenomenon?



Yesterday I read an article that labels 15 year old Venus Palermo as a disturbing internet phenomenon. 

I’ve written about human dolls & what I think of this strange obsession of being dressed up as dolls. And I repeat I find all those people who watch these clips far more weird than these girls. Anyhow, I just couldn’t understand what is disturbing about it. You see a lot more on this planet that is far more disturbing. These girls enjoy being painted as dolls & people just find faults for the heck of it. It makes them happy & they are entertaining certain audience. Who cares if they happen to be sick! 


Her mother Margaret approves of it & not just that, she checks out every video before Venus posts it on Youtube. There’s nothing Lolita like about this entire doll thing as certain people are saying. I believe it’s some sort of phase. However, Venus & other girls say that they would continue it for the rest of their lives. That’s kind of absurd, but they have the right to decide. 

Venus Angelic said. "I don't think that I will ever stop. I think I will grow in my style and just keep doing what I love." 

Anyhow, I just couldn’t help thinking about human dolls & just why anyone wants to project herself as a doll. All of them say that they don’t indulge in acts that normal teenagers take to extremes. They don’t smoke, drink or do drugs. They don’t have boyfriends. I think it’s very natural to have a boyfriend. It’s surely a misfortune if you never have someone who truly likes you. I’m not saying kiss & sleep with just about anyone, but it’s kind of weird to say one is not interested in guys & that too when you’re a teenager. I do not know but it seems some sort of a psychological disorder to me. Something is missing & these girls live in another world. 

Her mom said: “Venus is an innocent girl. She doesn’t drink, she doesn’t smoke, she’s not even remotely interested in boys. She works hard at her studies. I would be far more upset if she was rolling around drunk in the street.” 

Venus is being home tutored. She doesn’t have any real friends. She says that girls on the net admire what she does & they are her pals. According to her mom, she’s not interested in boys. This doesn’t sound very normal.

Although I have nothing against such strange habits but I don’t like it when they look down on smokers. Only closed minds can find faults with this kind of habit. We don’t ask anyone to try out drugs & neither do we want anyone to live on another planet & paint themselves as dolls. We smoke, cause we need to chill. What’s wrong with that? I was in school when I started smoking & I’m not ashamed of it. I don’t drink but I don’t look down on those who drink. Everyone has the right to lead the kind of life he/she wants to. You want to do a thing. Fine. You don’t have to drag others to justify your weirdness. 

Last but not least, I don’t find Venus Palermo even remotely cute & I’m amused that she has innumerable fans. In fact she reminds me of dolls that scared me while I was a kid. Dakota Rose (Kato Kati) & Valeria are at least pretty. Valeria looks fine without makeup. And she does seem like a Barbie doll after painting her face. I haven’t seen the photos of Dakota Rose without make-up but those who have say that she looks a different person. 

Anyhow, I really don’t think it’s a dangerous trend at the moment. The media wants us to believe it’s way too bizarre. Just how the media wants us to accept one size & shape for every woman out there & what is beautiful according to their low standards. 

But it surely is an exceptionally strange habit. 

Source: 


Youtube videos of human dolls: