Thursday, April 19, 2012

Yes, I do believe in something (continued)


Yesterday I couldn’t tackle the topic & I really missed my father, cause he could talk on literary stuff even better than my professors. And it’s not my opinion. One of my professors said this about him. I was telling my mom how badly I failed & it’s giving me headaches. Moreover, you need the right sort of people for literary discussions. Even the ones who have studied Literature can have such closed minds; they start judging you for raising questions or making some statement that they couldn’t dare to utter. 

Anyhow, I also use the word fuck but only when I'm pissed off but I didn’t like how it was used. Now that doesn’t make me a hypocrite :P I know it wasn’t D. H. Lawrence; it was the character of Mellor & how else could he express himself! I know all that. 

But when you talk about sex in that context, you don't have to use the word fuck for it. It seems degrading. He could have mentioned being warm-hearted & cold-hearted without making it vulgar. It was not just unrefined, it sounded very crude. What he said had weight, but many people would think about it in a negative sense...love-making shouldn't be referred as fucking unless you are talking about those who have it without even thinking. And it was about everyone, not just that typical kind. 

Anyway, I want to share something that might help a little: 

“There are two kinds of artist: one brings answers, & the other questions. We have to know whether one belongs to those who question; for the kind which questions is never that which answers. There are works which wait, & which one does not understand for a long time; the reason is that they bring answers to questions which have not yet been raised: for the question often arrives a terribly long time after the answer.” 

Oscar Wilde 

I can’t say anything about others, but I believe I haven’t been able to raise the right questions while dissecting it yesterday. D.H. Lawrence has provided an answer & I think we haven’t reached the level where we could raise the question. You have to reach a particular level to comprehend certain things. I’m not there, so I don’t know. 

And let me scribble that cold-hearted, warm-hearted thing again: 

“Yes, I do believe in something. I believe in being warm-hearted. I believe especially in being warm-hearted in love, in fucking with a warm heart. I believe if men could fuck with warm hearts, and the women take it warm-heartedly, everything would come all right. It’s all this cold-hearted fucking that is death & idiocy.” 

 D. H. Lawrence 

Everything ends in materialism now. Maybe a day will come when everything will really end. We are not dead as yet but there are living corpses around us & they sleep with people just to satisfy a particular desire & that’s it. It’s when you feel, maybe then you could be as warm-hearted as D. H. Lawrence wants people to be. And the reason why he used the word fuck with no respect whatsoever is that he saw what most of us are not even capable of understanding as yet. Perhaps when you don’t feel, there is no hope…you are already dead. 

It’s pretty ironic…they say the world revolves around just two things – money & sex. And still this is the picture. It’s like D. H. Lawrence is telling us that people don’t even know how to make love. Passion is somehow missing or people don’t know what it means in the real sense. It’s not that people don’t dare to utter I suppose. They don’t even think about it, so to speak. They indulge in the act & I guess the story ends there. It’s exactly what John Lennon said in his song Nobody Told Me, ‘Everybody's making love and no one really cares.’ 

So many people still believe in love & if this is how things stand, I think no one should regret the fact that he/she is still alone. If you can't feel anything in an intimate relationship, then what's the point to have that kind of relationship, to begin with?

Yes, I do believe in something